Kumhrar Excavation Park | Ruins of Pataliputra

The Kumhrar Park is the location where the ruins of Patliputra during the Mauryan era have been discovered. The most famous remnants are of 80-pillared-hall and Panini’s Arogyashala. The 80-pillared-hall has been referred as Ashoka’s palace, audience hall etc., but the most acceptable view is that it was the conference hall for the third Buddhist Council held at Patliputra in third Century BC during the reign of Ashoka. It is a protected monument of National importance and is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).

It was during 1912-15 when the ruins of the Mauryan Pillared hall was discovered by the British Archaeological Survey of India, under the supervision of D B Spooner. Remnants of 72 pillar were found at that time. Further excavation during 1951-55 , brought 8 more pillars under light, & hence popularly came to known as  “80-pillared-hall”.  It also found out 4 additional pillar belonging to the entrance.The pillars of the hall were arranged in parallel rows of 10 from East to West and 8 from North to South with the entrance located on the South end. All the pillars were made of sandstone quarried from Chunar in Mirzapur district of UP. They were monolithic with a lustrous shine typical of the Mauryan period. Each pillar was about 9.75 m in height of which nearly 2.74 m was buried below. They were fixed on square wooden base. The floor and roof were made of wood. They were about 30 steps near the entrance, connected to the canal flowing beside it ,which was connected to river Son. This staircase was used by the distinguished visitor coming to the hall by the boat. One of the pillar unearthed has been kept in the park for public viewing. The excavated area has been filled with sand and earth to protect the remnants. A garden stands over it now. However few  of the items unearthed has been kept in the museum in the park .

During the excavation of 1951-55, one of the major finding was the unearthing of the brick structures

,belonging to 4th-5th century AD, identified as the Arogyavihar or Hospital-cum-monastery on the basis of a small oval terracotta sealing inscribed with the legend “Sri Arogyavihare Bhikshusamghasya” in Gupta Brahmi script. It is believed that this hospital was run by Dhanvantari, the famous physician of the Gupta period as a small potsherd was found inscribed with the word “Dhanvantareh”. Many other items like coins,ornaments etc. were also recovered from the same place. The excavated structure consists of rooms measuring approximately 3.20 m x 3.10 m and 6.50 m x 3.10 m. The excavated area has also been covered to protect it from erosion. On the same place, brick structure has been raised for the public viewing.

Today, a beautiful garden stands over the land where hundreds of years back stood a magnificent 80-pillared-hall. The lush green park with big trees gives a peaceful experience of the era gone by. There is a museum in the park where the model of 80-pillared-hall and the findings are kept. There are many photographs along with the vivid description of the history which takes back to the Mauryan period. A replica of excavated hall is also on display.

How to reach : It is situated some 6 km south of Patna Junction in Kumhrar area of the Kankarbagh colony. It is situated beside the road. Autos are easily available from Patna junction to reach the park.

Patna Junction: 10-11 km
Mithapur Bus stand: 12-13 km
Patna airport: 17-18 km

Nearby Places: